Sunday 25 October 2009

Access your flexible friend!

I am a yoga teacher.
You would expect me to be flexible.
I am.

I am flexible because I do yoga.

The reason I emphasise that is because the thing I hear most often when people know I teach yoga is;

"Hmmm, I've often thought about doing yoga but I don't think I'm flexible enough".

Come on peeps, is that the real reason?

I have a couple of theories about this...
yes, you may not be flexible, but flexibility is easily lost, ask a dancer or athlete. You have to work at flexibility,  not for long but a little every day......is that it, fear of commitment?

The other thing is yoga's image, you know, the pictures you see in magazines and newspapers especially if its a picture of a celebrity. Ordinary  folk aren't daft, they know they can't do that, but hey......we don't do that in the first class!! It can take months, years or never to get to those poses and celebs don't have pictures taken of the poses they can't do!

The third thing, okay I know I said couple but, are you afraid you have to be naked or skimpily dressed or change religion or go without food or drink or sex?

None of that is true.

I have a 5 step plan for you:
1. Find a class near you.
2. Wear something comfortable.
3. Take a mat or a towel to lay on.
4. Do what your body can do, not the person next to you.
5. Notice the comfort, ease, lightness and joy you feel at the end of the class.

You are now on your way to being FLEXIBLE. Not only in your body, but also your mind and that feels so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment